Ins and Outs of Planning

Faith Yost Headshot
Faith Yost

Entering college, I knew I wanted to study abroad in Ecuador and the Galápagos Islands. I had been there for one week the previous summer and yearned to go back to learn more about nature and culture. When I finally found the GAIAS (Galapagos Islands Direct Enrollment) program through IES Abroad, I knew that’s where I wanted to go. When I presented this to my study abroad advisor, he said they didn’t have that program on their radar but he loved it so much that he was going to recommend it to the Geography and the Environment Department. 

When it comes to preparing, I love staying organized with lists and more lists. I mainly use spreadsheets and Google Docs. I have a study abroad packing list, a cost spreadsheet, and an information document where I will keep all information about the trip. This includes my to-do list, payment history, and notes from my school’s study abroad information sessions. I have also utilized the academic calendar provided by IES Abroad to update my Google Calendar and my handheld planner, which I take almost everywhere with me. Attached to this blog is a screenshot of my packing list.

Here are some major tips and tricks when it comes to planning to study abroad. 

1. Get a head start - this allows for buffer time where any issues may arise.
  2. Reach out to everyone involved in the process to make connections (home school advisor, IES Abroad advisor, etc.) - the more connections you make, the quicker and easier it is to reach out to those people when an issue arises.
  3. Determine your financial status - learn what costs you will need to pay up front and how much this will be. For example, certain international vaccinations cost a few hundred dollars. 
  4. Determine if your passport is up to date or if you need a visa - luckily, I do not need a visa to travel to Ecuador, at least not before I go. While there, I have to get an extended tourist visa, but IES Abroad staff will guide me through that process. 
  5. Apply to as many scholarships as you can - the less you have to pay out of pocket, the better.
  6. Do your research - look for luggage requirements, recommendations from others who have traveled to that country/area, and the best ways to prepare for a long trip.
  7. Make a packing list early, then cut it to essentials - you’ll want to make sure you can carry everything without the help of strangers. 
  8. Fill out STEP (Smart Traveler Enrollment Program) for those in the U.S. - notifies the nearest U.S. Embassy about your trip in case anything happens while you are out of the country. 
  9. Make sure you are up to date on healthcare appointments - I got my dental and my wellness check in. As someone who wears contacts, I had to order extra contacts before I left. 
  10. Have a backup plan - if something happens and you can’t study abroad, make sure there’s a way to get enrolled in classes at your home college. 

The next things on my to-do list are to create an emergency contact card with the numbers for my parents, IES Abroad, my home school, insurance, and others that I deem as important. I will also be making copies of my vaccination cards (yellow fever and Covid), my passport, flight information, and travel insurance. I will also be notifying my bank accounts about my trip and going to my phone’s service provider to unlock my phone so I can use a sim or e-sim while abroad. There’s still a lot I need to plan for, and I certainly do get stressed out at times, but for me these are some of the best ways to keep myself on track and organized. 

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction, but please don’t hesitate to reach out with any other questions!