Culture Change in Ecuador

Faith Yost Headshot
Faith Yost

Most, if not all, schools and study abroad programs attempt to prepare you for the change you will experience when living in a different country for an extended period of time, but this change is different for everyone and every location. I had a hard time finding resources that described some of the changes I would see, so I decided to write a little bit about the changes I have experienced as a student going from the United States to Ecuador. 

Culture Change From My Perspective

Clothing: From the beginning, us international students were warned to be careful with what we wore so we didn’t draw attention to ourselves. I noticed pretty quickly that students on the university’s campus weren’t dressed much differently than the students back home in Pennsylvania dressed. But the articles of clothing that individuals wore varied between on and off campus settings. On campus, females wore jeans, shorts, leggings, tank tops, t-shirts, sweatshirts, and even crop tops. Off campus, long pants and t-shirts or long sleeve shirts were very common. 

Public Transportation: In the United States, I relied heavily on self-transportation via car, but in Ecuador I had to learn how to take public transportation to and from school. For me that consisted of a 15 minute walk from my house to the bus stop, and a 10-20 minute bus ride to the school (depending on traffic). Luckily, the bus fare is only 35 cents!

Greetings: Most people are very touchy feely in Ecuador. When greeting someone you are close with or know, you always give them a hug. In addition, it's very common to “kiss”. What I mean by this is you lean in to give someone a hug, touch your cheeks together with the individual, and make a kissing sound. Your lips don’t actually touch them at all. It is a very common greeting that I have gotten used to with my host family. 

Food: For my program, I am responsible for my own lunches. I wasn’t sure how much I was going to end up spending but IES Abroad recommended slightly over $1,000. Surely enough, lunches cost anywhere from $4-10 depending on the place. You can easily get a good meal with chicken, rice, and a salad for $4. In some areas with “street food” you can get a soup, main dish, and juice for $3-5, but eat here at your own risk!

Bathroom Talk: No toilet paper in the toilet! So where does it go? All bathrooms have trash cans near the toilets so you can throw the toilet paper right in. This used to be due to plumbing issues, but now it has just become a part of the culture. Forgetting the first few times is okay. Over the first week or two the habit will solidify. 

Something important that I learned is that things are different, but they are supposed to be different! I have been learning and adjusting, but am also appreciating the change! Learning about a new culture in a different country is a privilege and an opportunity you shouldn’t pass up!