Top Ten Foods I Have Eaten

Yocom Yocom

I have been in Germany for a few months so far and have had the opportunity to travel a bit and I have definitely discovered some favorite foods. Here is a list of my favorite foods that I have tried and foods I definitely recommend you try.

Hungarian langos These I tried during my trip to Budapest. They are not healthy at all but absolutely delicious. My tour guide introduced me to them, and I am glad he did. It is a fried dough topped with various toppings. The one I tried had a garlic sauce and cheese. It is worth a trip to Hungary just for this.

Döner  You can find döner kebab throughout Europe, but so far my favorite is still in Freiburg. This is also not the healthiest option, but to be honest not many of my top foods are. Döner does at least have some veggies though. It is basically a big wrap with veggies, chicken or lamb and a delicious sauce.

Ice cream This is another European-wide thing but I definitely have a favorite ice cream shop called Portifinos in Freiburg. They have loads more flavors in Europe, including flavors such as Nutella, or fruit flavors that have Nutella in it.

Pastries/bread are another thing America is falling behind Europe with. It seems like in Freiburg a bakery is on every block and they are all good. They are also not expensive.

Schwarzwälder Schinken(Black Forest ham) This is another thing I have grown fond of here in Freiburg. Freiburg is near the Black Forest, and that means Black Forest ham. The Black Forest ham is nothing like its counterpart in the US. Here in Germany, it is a thin piece of meat with a smoky flavor. I love it on eggs, in a sandwich, or basically with anything to be honest.

Grilled goat cheese salad  This one is pretty random and one of the only healthy things on my Easter break vacation but it was tasty. The salad included fruit such as melon, strawberries, and blueberries. It was a combination that I had never tried before, but it was something I definitely want to have again.

Pierogi - I have had pierogi plenty of times back in the states but it was an experience having them in Poland. They were also one of my favorite things that I have had so far in Europe. They are a type of dumpling with various fillings including potato and cheese, sauerkraut, and meat.

Borscht - Another thing that I have had prior to my travels but felt more special eating it in the countries it originates from. I had borscht in both Russia and Poland.

Flammkuchen - Flammkuchen is an Alsatian and German specialty. It is a bit like a thin crusted pizza, but not exactly. The basic and traditional one consists of onions, cheese, and bacon.

Paprika Chips - This is another thing that I have grown to love in Germany. Germany and throughout Europe has chips with the flavor of red peppers or Paprika in German. These chips taste pretty similar to American Barbecue chips but are not exactly like those.

Well, that is my top ten food list so far. I am sure the list will get longer as the semester goes on.