Trip to Tarragona

Sparsh Kumar
Sparsh Kumar

This blog post explores my recent trip to Tarragona, Spain, through the IES Abroad program. Though it started with a rocky start due to the extensive rain in the city, we were all eventually able to enjoy the beauty and history the city has to offer. I was amazed at the details and intricacies in the walls I saw everywhere. Small alleys carried stories of all who lived there prior and shared all the moments of their life in that location. Observing the wall of Tarragona built during the Roman times was breathtaking. 

I saw the carvings into the stone by the creators of the wall, and I could not help but imagine the techniques and resources they used to build a structure so magnificent. The sheer scale and complexity of the construction left me in awe of the engineering skills of the time. Exploring the amphitheater overlooking the Mediterranean Sea added another layer of awe as I stood where ancient Romans once gathered for entertainment. Learning about the tradition of the Human Towers was equally exciting. I got insights into the history of this practice and how prideful citizens are about this tradition. I was not expecting to actually participate in the building of a human tower, but I thoroughly enjoyed observing the difficulty and level of skill required to do this. I was also lucky enough to see this practice in real life while exploring the downtown area of Tarragona. I saw a large group of locals practice building the tower multiple times, which was very memorable and unique opportunity. 

The trip was not only a journey through history but also a chance to reflect on the legacy of human craftsmanship and resilience. I could palpate a sense of connection to the past throughout this entire trip, making it extremely memorable and one of the best places I have visited abroad.