A Few Notes On Departure

Daniel Sears Headshot
Daniel Stewart

The day has finally come. It's time to leave your hometown to an entirely new place, an entirely new continent. All the work of preparing for the moment, the seemingly endless paperwork you had to fill, has been finished. Plane ticket and visa papers in hand, you said your goodbyes. You packed your bags and hit the road. You are excited, maybe a bit nervous, and perhaps slightly disoriented––all at the same time. Periods of transition are no doubt marked with many feelings, sometimes ones that seem to contradict the other.

In this period of transition, you may run into some hiccups along the way. Fortunately, there are support systems in place to help you as well as strategies you can apply to ensure a smooth journey to your destination. 

Mistakes: They do indeed happen. And I am more mistake-oriented than other people.

After a weekend trip with family, I was kindly driven away by my Aunt to Newark International Airport for my flight. But…the return flight I booked got cancelled. Well, my flight had been cancelled for months, and I wasn’t entirely sure why because the airline I had didn’t give me a formal reason for my cancellation. I procrastinated on that issue thinking: “Oh I can always rebook it later, ball is in my court after all when it comes to rebooking a cancelled flight, lemme enjoy the rest of the summer instead of worrying about that!”

While that may be true for domestic flights, as you can imagine that decision didn’t turn out the best outcome for me. I found out at the front desk as I was checking my bag that you cannot board unless you have a return flight booked to show you leave the Schengen Area after your student visa term. If I didn’t arrive an excessive 4.5 hours before departure, I probably would’ve missed my flight. As a first time international traveler (aside from a trip when I was very young) I was oblivious to the rules surrounding visas. Which brings me to another point: the dates on your visa are the days you can physically stay within The Schengen Area as a student during your IES Abroad term. It doesn’t mean you can’t travel before/after your program as a tourist though! 

The Shengen Area

If you haven’t traveled to Europe before, you may be unaware with what that precisely means. The Schengen Area includes 29 European countries, most of them in the EU. Whatever your travel plans may be, if you have questions, make sure to ask IES Abroad Staff so they can best support you and ensure your plans work before you book tickets!

So, as I frantically learn what I was telling you in the airport when I was checking in, I booked a cheap flight on my phone from Milan to London, December 19th––the Fall Milan 2024 program’s end date. That was a tip the IES Abroad emergency support person gave me. While the UK is in Europe, it is outside the Schengen Zone. I could still pursue my travel plans, if I left the Schengen Zone for a few days and then returned as a tourist. Phew! 

Final note on Departure

Travel can be stressful sometimes. Unforeseen obstacles (or in my case, somewhat foreseen obstacles) may come up. Making sure you prepare, organize, and plan ahead can mitigate travel-related stress. Tie up logistical loose ends before (not during!) the day of departure! Also, while being prepared is essential, making sure you practice self care is equally so. 

Finally, reflect on those who supported you along the way: family, friends, etc. and send them a postcard on your journeys. Its a little old school, but they (especially older relatives) will love to hear from you through that medium. Also, homestay students: give your host family a gift, they would really appreciate it!

I hope you enjoy your departure on this exhilarating start to your study abroad journey. 

Ciao a tutti,

Daniel