Anticipating Amsterdam! My Study Abroad Preparations

Brooke Lackey Headshot
Brooke Lackey
A guidebook titled "Walking Amsterdam" is being held open by Brooke, a white woman with brown curly hair, whose eyes are looking over the top of the book at the camera.

Hello, IES Abroad blog readers! Welcome to my first ever post. My name is Brooke (she/her/hers) and I am a rising junior at Davidson College, originally from Winston Salem, NC. As I write this, I am simultaneously enjoying my summer and constantly checking to make sure I am as ready as I think I am for a semester abroad in Amsterdam. For someone who isn't the greatest at planning, combined with my limited traveling experience, the weeks leading up to my study abroad experience are both exciting and nerve racking. If you’re the kind of person who enjoys “winging it” but knows that they really should still do some prior research, this post is for you. Here are some of my preparations for a semester abroad. 

1. You can’t get there if you can’t GET there: Make sure those important documents are complete well before your departure. I made it a priority to apply for my passport well in advance of applying for my study abroad programs. Some schools also have funds available to cover the cost of a U.S. passport if this cost is a barrier to you. Additionally, I have paid the US Government Travel Advisory website much attention when it came to understanding visa requirements and my destination. I have decided to do what is rather unadvisable: study abroad in the summer before studying abroad in the fall, which can put time constraints on when you can apply and receive a visa if one is required. I have found it beyond helpful to stay in touch with all contacts involved—ones at my home school, and both my summer + fall programs—to communicate and to help guide me through this process. Which brings me to my next point…

2. Communication is KEY! This sounds obvious, but cultivating relationships (yes, over email) makes you familiar with program coordinators and other contacts, and vice versa! I’ve emailed my program coordinator at IES Abroad with varying questions and have always received meaningful answers. Creating a relationship with the contacts I have in Amsterdam makes me even more comfortable as we approach departure—a time when questions will undoubtedly pop up.

3. “Any tips for when I go abroad?” Packing, airports, forms, documents…as you’re navigating through pre-departure preparations, I loved asking this question or some form of it to my friends, family, peers and whoever else I might have shared my plans with. Who better to learn from than people who have already learned the ropes of travel? The pointers I’ve picked up have been incredibly helpful, especially in learning about international cultures and customs. These conversations have also reassured me that as I go through my experience, bringing open-mindedness and patience with me will always be helpful and sometimes necessary as I learn about a new way of life. 

I am T-minus 13 days away from flying to my new home! Above all, I am enthralled to explore this new place, and new chapter of my life. That’s it for now—thank you for reading, and happy abroad-ing!