Advice for Future Students | Quito & The Galapagos 2024

Teagan Serink Headshot
Teagan Serink

At the end of my study abroad program, I interviewed my classmates about what advice they had for the “next generation.” The following video contains eight pieces of advice for future exchange students. Some of the advice is specific to Quito and The Galapagos, while some of it is more general study abroad advice.

This video also contains footage from our time in Ecuador, including the trips to Quito, Tiputini Biodiversity Station, Mindo, Isla San Cristóbal, and Isla Santa Cruz. Hopefully this will give you a better idea of what to expect when visiting these destinations, and what to look forward to :)

For more information about day-to-day life while studying abroad in Ecuador, check out my “day in the life” blog posts on the IES website.

____

Video by Teagan Serink

Testimony by Sumner Nelson, Rebecca Huang, Asha Goyal, Julia Quarrier, and Teagan Serink

Music Credit: “Better” by Anno Domini Beats (via YouTube Music Library)

Video Transcript:

What advice do you have for future exchange students?

Definitely pack exactly what you need and nothing more. You will be getting stuff here because this is an experience that you will probably only be able to have once in your life. Also, when they tell you Quito is cold, it’s not cold. The lowest it got here I believe was 60 degrees. If 60 Fahrenheit is cold for you, pack accordingly.

Even though the program is really short, I think it’s really worth it to invest in the friendships and relationships with people that you meet in your program because having a strong community here can make or break your study abroad experience. And for the Galapagos, I definitely recommend bringing a lot of sunscreen – more than you think you need.

Don’t let your doctor talk you into getting a rabies vaccine; there are not bats flying around anywhere. Also, bring multiple bathing suits for the Galapagos and flip flops. I brought three bathing suits and that was nice not having to put on a wet bathing suit every day. Also you will be using a lot of cash. In Quito and the Galapagos it’s mostly cash, no card, so just be prepared to take money out of an ATM.

If you’re coming to Ecuador, I’d say be prepared to go on hikes and bring the proper equipment. Bring boots, bring the right pants, and definitely wear sunblock too.

Just make the most out of the time you have here, and just have an amazing time. Bye!