Before Going Abroad: Support From Your Home University

Tal Pemstein
Tal Pemstein
Front view of the Brandeis Student Financial Services reception desk, with a sign behind it reading 'Student Financial and Academic Services'

Less than two weeks until I’m off to Berlin! As I arrange my arrival-day travel itinerary, figure out my phone plan, and start thinking about how I will possibly fit a semester's worth of clothes into one checked bag, I have also been reflecting on everything — and everyone — that has brought me here.

I have received so much valuable support throughout this process of learning, decision-making, and preparing to go abroad. From the very beginning of my search for study abroad programs, the study abroad office at my home university, Brandeis University, has provided me with incredibly helpful resources and tips; IES Abroad put me in touch with a returnee who answered my long list of questions about Metropolitan and Urban Studies in Berlin; and a financial services advisor from Brandeis helped me to understand the financial side of studying abroad. 

One especially notable — and slightly unexpected — support throughout this process has been Brandeis’s Student Accessibility Support (SAS) program. I use academic accommodations in classes, which I will need to share with instructors while abroad. Letting instructors know about my accommodations can make me a bit nervous, but it is also incredibly important for my success in educational environments. That communication is far easier, though, when it is well planned, with an approved accommodations list that is intentionally put together with potential cultural differences in mind. 

For example, I worked with SAS to add an accommodation to my list, allowing me to use my phone during class to adjust the volume of my hearing aids. At my home university, most of my professors don’t mind if I quickly open my phone for a moment in class, so I did not previously have that accommodation officially noted. However, I was advised that in many places, potentially including Germany, instructors can be much more strict about cell phone use during seminar-style courses. Because of that, I took the time to meet with SAS and adjust my accommodations list to ensure that I would have what I need to get everything that I can out of my classes. 

I highly recommend that other students with disability accommodations share with their study abroad advisor that they use accommodations, as the advisor may have insights about how different programs handle these matters. Once a program has been selected, it can also be helpful to reach out to staff from the program, itself, to learn more about how the program supports students with disabilities. 

The same goes for any part of who you are that may impact your study abroad experience! Personally, I also made a point to mention to a Brandeis study abroad advisor that I am Jewish, and hope to find Jewish community while abroad. Once my advisor knew that about me, she was able to connect me with a variety of helpful resources about Jewish student life in Berlin. IES Abroad also provided some information that I’ve been keeping in mind as I consider how I might engage with Jewish communities in my time in Berlin. 

Overall, in my experience, the more I shared about my goals, needs, and hopes for study abroad, the more valuable opportunities became available to learn and plan for the adventures ahead! Because I used the resources available to me through my home university, IES Abroad, and the Berlin-specific program, I feel confident, excited, and prepared to start this new experience. Armed with a lengthy pre-departure guide, an updated accommodations list, and a soon to be very full suitcase, I can’t wait to head to Berlin!