A Summer of Learning: My Final Reflections on Studying Abroad in Sydney

Sophia Ferraro Headshot
Sophia Ferraro
The Sydney Opera House at night

After waking up every day to a stunning view of Sydney, crafting a daily routine for myself while working in the city, and making new friends, my time abroad had ended. Before going abroad, I remember panicking to my mom about how I would survive, or if I would be any good at my internship. I had never traveled this far of a distance by myself before, and I was entering a new era of unknown possibilities, which frightened me because I had no idea what to expect. The only thing I could do to feel prepared was simply take the journey, and now being back home, I find that I’ve grown significantly as a person. 

From a personal standpoint, I found myself embracing new ideas, activities, and perspectives that I closed myself off to back home. Whether it was trying a new dish, or going on an outdoor adventure, I found that the result left me feeling happier and more complete with myself. The key to this was telling myself I should say yes to every opportunity, no matter how daunting or challenging it seemed, and thankfully I stayed true to this because I was able to expand beyond my comfort zone. Therefore, for any of you thinking of going abroad or scared of taking the first step, my advice is to go for it. The more you hesitate, the more you’re unwilling to try and discover a new piece of yourself. 

On the other hand, being alone in another country lends itself to uncovering parts of your identity that aren’t exactly pretty, or that you aren’t ready to unpack until you are alone. From homesickness to moments of culture shock, I found myself confronting my insecurities, often questioning why they were arising and what I could do about them. In times of loneliness and isolation, I noticed that the ugly parts of myself would uncover themselves, and in the beginning, I tried to ignore their existence, often pushing my feelings aside for the sake of harmony. Not only did that become emotionally exhausting, but it made me feel more isolated than when I started. Over time, from talking to my friends I made abroad to doing my inner reflections, I learned that studying abroad, while it is a wonderful experience, it is also eye-opening and a moment of self-discovery. I’m young and learning, so giving myself grace and props for trying was important in allowing me to make mistakes and grow from them. I found that acknowledging the parts of my identity that I could improve upon made the abroad experience all the more worthwhile. 

Since I came to Sydney for an internship, my biggest fear was that I wasn’t capable of doing the job, or that I wasn’t prepared enough to be working abroad. From my first day to my last, I slowly realized that stepping into the professional world isn’t a linear process, but one about making mistakes and learning from others. I was privileged enough to be working in a friendly, comforting, and helpful environment that not only taught me new skills but improved the ones I already walked in with. While comparing work environments between the United States and Australia, I found that observation and listening are key in a professional setting, no matter where it’s located. By watching the everyday life and operation of a company, in my case a creative video agency, I picked up on skills that while at the moment seemed simple, I realized I never practiced back home or at school. For example, I can confidently say I am an absolute PRO at Google Sheets, which if previously asked, I would have lowered my head and looked down at the floor. It’s a skill that while small in comparison to others is one that I’m proud to have been able to practice, mess up countless times, and learn from. 

Overall, my time in Sydney was nothing short of extraordinary, memorable, and an absolute learning experience. For those who are thinking of traveling, studying, or interning abroad, it is worth every ounce of the experience. From forming close bonds with those in my cohort to learning valuable lessons in a professional environment, I feel that I’ve grown tremendously over the past two months. My final piece of advice to you is this: embrace every second of your time abroad. Every high, every low, and even the days that seem to blend into each other. There is something to grasp and hold on to each day, and it can only make you that much stronger of a person. 

Thank you Sydney, it was truly an experience of a lifetime!