Taking on Trinity!

Shreya Bhat
Shreya Bhat

Walking through the big gates into this castle-like university was an overwhelming experience needless to say. Leaving my small college in Texas to this now insane global atmosphere where I was thrown into an extremely European environment was the most interesting and honestly humbling experience for me. Trinity College Dublin is not just an education system in Dublin, but it is also one of the biggest tourist attractions in the main city (other than Temple Bar). Its older European structures, enriching education, and newfound fame through Sally Rooney’s Normal People (which is worth the read), make it a highlight in Dublin’s rich history. Being in this epicenter of education was an interesting feeling for me, the seminars and lectures that I attended my first two weeks here were ones that I will never forget.

My business classes remained the same, however, I decided to immerse myself more in the Arts and took a few art history classes. And wow I was amazed. Being in Ireland, even though one might not realize it, is still a part of Europe and is a portal to the mainland in which there is so much history which also means that students from different backgrounds and ethnicities come to Trinity as well. Having people from Italy and Spain which was an epicenter for sculpture and art made my seminar discussions more stimulating than I expected. I was happy being in an environment that curated my interest for the arts, especially since I was not used to that before being a Psychology and Business major back home. Even though the immersion of the humanities is something that I appreciated in my college back home, being in Trinity where a ten-minute walk led me to an original historical artifact has left me amazed to this day. I always had an interest in art history which was subdued by my motivation to pursue my career. Trinity gave me the opportunity to really explore the humanities which interested me. Learning about the portability of an object in my cultural intersections class and focusing on the influence of religion in the naturalistic painting in the Middle Ages has opened my mind to a different type of education than what I am used to, and I greatly appreciate the experience.

Further, Ireland is also a country that prides itself on its environmentalism with its plastic bag taxes and public transport. After taking multiple environmental studies back home, I decided to also take a class focused on understanding the Psychology behind climate change in Ireland and other countries. Which is something which I had always known was an issue, but taking a class in a country that is green and prides itself on its agricultural needs, was a decision which I am glad I took. Learning about the Irish attitudes towards climate change and the recognition of the steps that needed to be taken to promote healthy environmental practices are something which I value. It was also interested to see how other countries view The United States. Even though climate change is something that requires a lot of consistent effort from individuals in society, I enjoy learning about how I can try to change the world in some small way. So, I started carrying tote bags to grocery stores and a reusable coffee cup (because I am a caffeine addict), using more reusable products such as rags, and even packing my own lunch to campus to avoid using more plastic products. Seeing how only taking 3 weeks of classes has made me more conscious of my efforts to aid the environment makes me excited for the remainder of the semester.

Apart from the education, being a senior taking upper-level classes has its own issues. As a person who has a stable friend group back home, going abroad was something that I considered as an experience to help me discover myself and grow as a person. So, the fact that the students my age already had friend groups was not really an issue for me, but if you are a person who wants to explore making Irish friends, I recommend joining societies and groups on campus that will give you the immersion that you crave. However, making friends with other transfer students was something that gave me comfort since we were in the same situation, whether they were from The United States or different countries, being a transfer student meant that we went through the same struggles and relatability is something that I appreciate in my friendships. Most of the students in my classes were very inviting and friendly but in the short time I have been here I have made more friends with non-Irish people than with the actual Irish people. However, Trinity is a melting pot of students from various different backgrounds, and so making friends from different European countries is normal, and also is pretty cool! Learning about different cultures and traditions is something which gave me a lot of insight on my own culture and traditions (American and Indian). 

In conclusion, starting off my journey this semester has been an adventure that I definitely encourage others to pursue. Further, if you have the ability to take classes outside of your standard disciplines then I all the more encourage you to do so! There is nothing more interesting than learning about different people and their backgrounds especially if you don’t have the same interests, because it also helps you diversify your own knowledge on subjects and be a more wholistic person rather than one focused on a singular subject. Why be just a business major when you can be a psychology and business double major taking art history and environmental studies classes. Taking the opportunity to diversify my education helps me further my interest in different disciplines to make me a better-rounded individual as per my personal opinion and I think it’s definitely something to consider one should consider in the future!