The Adjustment Period

Shreya Bhat
Shreya Bhat

What does it mean to truly feel at home in a new country? For me, the answer has been the journey of exploring and finding friends that want to do the same. After a few days in Ireland, the initial jet lag and uncertainty of making friends began to fade. I’m starting to feel more comfortable in my student housing, which is conveniently located in Dublin. The IES Abroad Aparto Beckett House is an accommodation that also houses other students that are most likely studying in the same college as you and it provides students with many different places to convene and bond. The accommodation also allows me to cook for myself, bringing a familiar aspect of home into my daily life abroad. It also provides me with a private bed and bath which gives me the space to have some time independently from the other students in my accommodation. 

Dublin also offers a variety of diverse cultural grocery stores, coffee shops, and convenience stores to cater to student’s needs. In the first few days, my roommates and I explored the different shops and areas near Trinity College and our housing. From bathroom mats to Tupperware, there’s something for everyone. I personally enjoyed walking to Insomnia grabbing a flat white and going grocery shopping during the first few days while settling in.

Over the first weekend, my group and I ventured to Greystones, a charming town in the Irish countryside. We enjoyed a dip in the Irish Sea, a sunset on a grassy knoll, and explored local vintage and antique stores. The true beauty of Ireland is not just the scenery but also the people, the locals were friendly when asked for directions and other small queries such as other places to visit and Irish traditions. We also discovered a fantastic vegan restaurant, The Happy Pear. The next weekend we had the ability to visit Glendalough, which was another excursion that proved to me how much this country had to offer. Visiting the ruins of the monastery and church which was at one point the biggest church in the location, showed a inside look into Irish culture and their older architecture. The waterfalls, mountains, and trails hiked as well provided valuable memories which I will continue to cherish till my return home. 

These valuable memories and trips also gave me the ability to bond with my peers in my program and similar program and set the tone for the semester with regard to friendships and the spirit of adventure. Adapting to the educational environment is something which took a bit getting used to, with the variety of other international students as well as other American students from different programs, it felt as if I was thrown into my freshman experience once again. Meeting new people and forming relationships is something which I have been good at but being in a completely foreign environment made it difficult for me to be more open and social. However, after making friends with other students in my program I found it easier to be more inviting to new connections and I am excited to meet more students and people who will provide me with more fun experiences in different places. 

The trips to Greystones and Glendalough provided a glimpse into the diverse activities and experiences Ireland has to offer beyond the city.  As I continue to adjust to life in Ireland, I’m excited to explore more of the country and deepen my connections with the locals. On the trip back from Greystones we met an Irish grandmother who was telling us about her experience growing up in the Irish countryside which increased my interest in exploring different areas. I’ve already discovered the beauty of the Irish countryside and the warmth of the Irish people. With each passing day, I feel more welcome in this country in which I will spend the next few months in!