Website Maintenance

Please be aware that we are currently troubleshooting issues regarding account creation and login, we apologize for the inconvenience. New account creation is currently suspended, and login attempts may experience errors. We ask that you please check back in a few hours and attempt your account setup or login again if you are currently blocked.

Tour Through The Colosseum

Kathryn Sommer

One of the first thing that comes to mind when thinking of Rome is the Colosseum. Needless to say, I had to take my parents to see this miraculous site, as well as tour and embrace it.

As it happened, we entered the Colosseum about an hour before it closed, meaning that we could see it in the most incredible lighting as the sun was starting to set. Through partial reconstructions and models, we were able to see what the original architecture of the Colosseum may have looked like and how it therefore functioned as one of the greatest amphitheatres of the Roman Empire. The complexity is astonishing and leaves plenty of room for imagination: some might imagine the gladiator fights that were to be seen there, others might imagine the masses of viewers that were seated in the ranks of the Colosseum. Yet others might wonder abou the different animals that were brought out as part of some shows or the genius of the construction of the Colosseum that allowed incredibly fast evacuation and safety at the same time as amusement.

I highly recommend touring the Colosseum (tickets can be bought at the entrance to the forum with minimal lines as the ticket includes both, the entrance to the Forum Romanum and Colosseum). However, if the time or other reasons do not allow for a tour of the Colosseum, then the site has to at least be visited so one can enjoy the monstrous Colosseum form the outside. It is also a miraculous view at night that can be enjoyed from the ground level, but also from the Restaurant Aroma, that is located behing the Colosseum and offers a magnificent view from the top floor of the building.