Passport to Success: Your Ultimate Guide to Studying Abroad like a Pro!

Emma Suzuki Szwajkowski
Emma Suzuki Szwajkowski
A group of high school study abroad students stand on the steps in front of an old cathedral in a rural town in Spain.

As a 21-year-old still trying to find her legs in this world, I must say the one thing I have enough experience with to help you find yours is studying abroad. From elementary school through middle school, my mom placed me in local schools in Mexico and Japan for weeks at a time instead of doing what you would during your average vacation. Of course, at such a temperamental age, I would kick and scream about going on every one of my first days at school in these different schools over the summer, but by the end of it, I would be crying while saying goodbye to the friends that I made during such short periods. 

By high school, I decided to let go of my mother’s hand and jet off on my own study-abroad adventures: one summer in Spain the summer after my first year in high school, one in Japan after my second year, and an academic year back in Spain during the entirety of my third year. Now I stand as a rising fourth-year student in college, staring at the plane tickets that will send me to Japan for another academic year abroad.

I am sure, my dear reader, that you understand as I do about the benefits you gain from studying abroad as you prepare for your journey. But whether you are a seasoned study abroad student or going on your first adventure, here are a few tips I collected from my experiences that will help you to maximize your experience:

1: Research, Research, Research

Before making any decisions, thoroughly research your options. Look into different study abroad programs (IES Abroad and CIEE are amazing!), universities, countries, and cultures. Consider factors such as cost of living, academic reputation, language requirements, and safety. Talk to anyone you might know who has experience abroad in the countries you are interested in and if you attend a university, you may have access to an education abroad advisor.

2: Set Clear Goals

What do you hope to achieve through studying abroad? Whether it is improving your language skills, connecting with your heritage, gaining a new perspective on your field of study, or simply experiencing life in another country, having clear goals will help you guide your decisions that will maximize your experience, and give you a template to reflect upon the closing of your adventure.

3: Step Out of Your Comfort Zone

There is no avoiding uncomfortable situations while you are abroad, but that is what it is all about! It pushes your boundaries and trying new things. Don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone. Otherwise, you won’t experience the most memorable moments of your trip! Try unfamiliar foods (discover new favorites!), participate in local traditions, and make friends from different backgrounds.

4: Stay Open-Minded

Embrace the differences you encounter while studying abroad. Similarly to stepping out of your comfort zone, keep an open mind and be willing to learn from people with different perspectives and ways of life. This will not only enrich your experience, but also help you grow personally and intellectually.

5: Learn the Language!

If you are studying in a non-English speaking country, make an effort to learn the local language. Even basic language skills can make a huge difference in your ability to connect with locals, navigate daily life, and build your own community around you. In my experience, this is one of the most tangible ways to follow your growth. Looking back on your language skills before and after the trip will give you an immense sense of pride in how far you have come. 

6: Make Connections

Take advantage of all the incredible opportunities to meet new people and build relationships. Whether it is fellow students, professors, or locals, forming connections can enhance your experience and provide valuable insights into the culture and community. In my experience, building your own community is what creates your own new life in a new country. Rather than being provided your host country life by your classes and host family, building one you choose from scratch like the one you made back at home is when you yourself start to feel like a local, and that inevitable homesickness starts to ebb away. These connections are what you come back to visit after your experience, and help you profoundly love your new life abroad!

7: Travel Wisely

While studying abroad often involves travel, be mindful of your budget and prioritize your academic responsibilities. Plan your trips carefully, taking into account both your financial constraints and your coursework commitments.

8: Stay Safe

Always prioritize your safety while studying abroad. Familiarize yourself with local laws and customs, stay aware of your surroundings, and trust your instincts if something doesn’t feel right. Like you would at home, exercise those safety precautions of having a buddy with you at night when going out. As a foreigner in your host country and in an entirely new environment to you, you are more vulnerable than you are back in your home town. Don’t hesitate to seek help or support if you need it.

9: Document Your Experience

Keep a journal, take photos, post on social media, (or start a blog) to document your study abroad experience. Not only will this help you preserve memories, but it can also serve as a valuable resource for reflecting on your journey and sharing your insights with others. These documented experiences become treasures to you in the future.

10: Reflect and Grow

Take time to reflect on your experiences abroad and the lessons you’ve learned. How have you changed and and grown as a result of studying abroad? Have you met the goals you set for yourself in the beginning? What insights have you gained about yourself and the world around you? Use these reflections to continue growing and evolving even after you return home.

Studying abroad is a unique opportunity to expand your horizons, challenge yourself, and discover new passions and interests. By following these tips and embracing your adventure, you can make the most of your study abroad experience and create memories that will last you a lifetime.