The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: First Impressions of Tokyo

Daxton Mironoff Headshot
Daxton Mironoff
A street in the Ginza neighborhood

Hello from Tokyo! We are two and a half weeks into the program and it has certainly been an adventure so far, full of interesting experiences ranging from awe-inspiring to (literally) painful.

After arriving at Narita airport, we all hopped on a bus to the Manhattan Hotel, where we stayed for the next three days during our on-campus orientation before moving into our permanent student housing. The Kanda University of International Studies, a short 20-minute walk away from our accommodation, was more beautiful than I could have expected—I'm especially looking forward to spending time in the library (a futuristic building that stands out with its curved glass sides and colorful Verner Panton chairs) this semester.

External view of the KUIS library
Internal view of the KUIS library

I am also very impressed with the sights of the city itself: I was a bit worried when I arrived that the city might not live up to the massive hype it receives on the internet, but I was pleasantly surprised. Having had the chance to explore several neighborhoods in Tokyo (Shibuya, Asakusa, Ginza, Nakano, Shimokitazawa, and Shinjuku thus far) during all the down time I’ve had while waiting for classes to start, I can confidently confirm that the city is a tourist’s dream. Between the traditional beauty of all the gardens and shrines and the modern glamor of electronic billboards and towering skyscrapers, Tokyo has something for everyone.

The shopping scene is no different: malls (and Don Quijotes, of course) are abundant and offer everything a person could want, while specialty outlets, like the pop culture geek’s mecca that is Nakano Broadway, have the rare finds that collectors have spent years looking for. I personally am convinced that Tokyo is home to the best record stores and thrift shops in the world, and I say that having gone on the hunt for vinyl and clothing in multiple other countries (stay tuned for future blog posts discussing these topics in detail). It’s also a foodies delight, with extravagant desserts, hot ramen, delicious wagyu beef, and fully-stocked convenience stores available at every turn.

The street leading to Nakano Broadway
Imperial palace gardens

But in reality, all that is just the short-term visitor’s version of Tokyo, and not what the daily life of a Westerner studying abroad (let alone the life of a local) looks like. 

Outside of the city center, things are vastly different. While tourists enjoy a variety of shops situated within a five-minute radius of one another, students must weather long commutes to school and work (in 90 degree heat and overwhelming humidity, no less)—I was shocked to find out that my own journey to school would be 75 minutes one way in the opposite direction of central Tokyo, and that I’d average five miles of walking a day, a far cry from my ten-minute "commute" to class at home in the U.S.. And the residential area where we are living looks nothing like the gorgeous photos of the city that pop up on Google: I find the neighborhood where the dorm is to be quite depressing and eerily silent, full of boxy beige and gray buildings and devoid of greenery. 

After living here for a couple of weeks, it is also hard not to notice the inherent lack of fruits and vegetables in meals here, which instead must be purposefully sought out from the grocery store. Certain daily trials are a result of significant language barriers: difficulties include reading menus, often written entirely in Japanese with some pictures if you’re lucky, and communicating with others given that very few people in the neighborhood speak any English (not even the managers of the dorm). Others come from learning to navigate cultural differences, whether that be trying to properly sort your own trash into five separate categories, avoiding certain foods after realizing your stomach can’t tolerate them, or unexpectedly having to BYOB (bring your own bed), walking a mile carrying a mattress and pillows after discovering that your room only came with a comforter and a wooden frame.

Residential area where dorm is located

Overall though, despite all these challenges, I am pleased with my experience in Japan so far and look forward to starting classes, enjoying what the central areas of Tokyo have to offer, and most of all, adjusting to a new way of life. By the end of my time in Japan, I know I'll be able to put “adaptability” as a strength on my resume and really mean it!

Editor's Note: Student Health & Safety is our number one priority at IES Abroad. Our highly trained Student Affairs Department, both on-site and in Chicago, are here to monitor situations on the ground as they arise and provide support, including housing support. Our Tokyo Center staff has been in contact with the dormitory and Daxton about their experience. While there will always be some level of culture shock that can come with adjusting to life in a new host city, we encourage students to collaborate closely with our Center staff regarding any questions or concerns as they may come up while abroad. Students with questions about health and safety before they depart should contact the Dean of Students Office at 800.995.2300.