Orientation, Marae, and Tiritiri Matangi

Clayton Kovich

Kia Ora! I figured it was about time to catch you all up on what I’ve been doing the past two weeks. I arrived in Auckland on the 11th of July, and was picked up and taken to my flat (but not before being told my passport was invalid! Turns out I needed only to sign it. Phew). I live on the 15th floor of my building in a small room tucked in the corner. Definitely feels like a city-dweller, starving artist kind of flat. But I like it fine. We then began orientation, going to the Omaha Marae (A Marae is a sacred meeting house for Maori people, the indigenous people of New Zealand). We spent two days there learning all sorts of traditional songs and dances, as well as weaving and cooking (we more ate than cooked, but we got to taste a lot!). Beware Marmite. It’s pretty rough. Then we got to meet our faculties back on campus and got tours and all that. The campus is pretty well spread out, but not too confusing. I still have to find all of my papers though. I also quickly made a great number of friends with whom I have been traveling the city and seeing the sights with. We went to a bird sanctuary and saw a bunch of birds that are near extinct (one bird was down to only 6 remaining, but they have already gone about fixing it). We also just bought our tickets for the All Blacks match and I am just about to buy my tickets for the New Zealand International Film Festival. I am quite excited. On top of all that excitement, I am currently enjoying my last day as a teenager, as I turn 20 tomorrow. Luckily, I was able to celebrate with my family before leaving the states, but it looks like I may have another celebration coming up tomorrow. NZ has also provided great inspiration for my poetry. Aside from the obligatory break up poems, I have written a few pieces, which I will see if I can post separately on this site for you to read. Don’t be too harsh of critics, they are still works in progress. I have to get back to my Ramen and kiwifruit (pretty much what I’ve been living on).  I’ll keep you posted on my happenings in New Zealand! Until then…

Kia Ora,

Clayton Kovich