A Visit to the IJ-Hallen

Brooke Lackey Headshot
Brooke Lackey

The past couple weekends, I’ve been hanging around Amsterdam---a nice break from the pressure of weekend traveling. My Amsterdam weekends have been very relaxing, filled with studying (I did have a midterm, after all…), good cooking, good company, and mini-adventures with friends who came to visit. In this post, I want to take you along on one of these ventures to the IJ-Hallen market. Here’s how it went!

What is IJ-Hallen?

The IJ-Hallen is a flea market in Amsterdam, claiming to be the largest in Europe. For one weekend every month, hundreds of stands set up at the NDSM Loods venue in Amsterdam Noord (North), offering goods from vintage clothing to antiques. My friend Izzy and I paid the 6 euro entry fee, and we were on our way to all sorts of goodies…for a bargain. 

Brooke and Izzy hold plastic neon yellow tokens that read "IJ-Hallen Amsterdam Noord."

The market was packed---I’m sure the beautiful weather had something to do with that! We slowly started to make a big loop around the market, stopping at stands/tents that looked of interest. We bustled by people looking through coats and shoes, bags to blankets, overhearing their (usually successful) attempts to negotiate the price. I’ve been told the Dutch enjoy a good deal, and I felt like that notion was reinforced on this trip. 

Against the backdrop of other market-goers under a tent, Izzy, a young woman with long black hair, looks through a wooden bowl of jewelry in front of her. She sits on a stool, wearing a black dress, a silky red top, and beige headphones.

Izzy was on the hunt for a quality leather jacket and bag, and I was hoping to find a pair of earrings and a bar of soap (this was, at least, until I realized that there was not much artisanal/crafty things offered at the market---I will have to go somewhere else!) I thoroughly enjoyed meandering through and seeing what fun clothes, jewelry, and knick knacks the vendors had to offer. 

Colorful, patterned socks for sale are piled into two baskets. Next to them is a small chalkboard listing their price.
Izzy is pictured facing away from us, looking through a rack of jackets under an IJ-Hallen tent.
On a white table are an assortment of typical findings at a flea market---a cream sweater, a red folded blouse, some pearl jewelry, two small bottles of perfume, a brown sunglasses case, and other antiques.
On a red backdrop, an assortment of gold and silver rings + earrings litter the table. There are also a few bangles and necklaces.

Soon enough, Izzy found a maroon leather jacket just to her liking! She is studying abroad in Copenhagen, where it will likely get plenty of use. 

Izzy stands in the foreground, posing with her new maroon leather jacket. Behind her, bikes line the fencing of the bridge she stands on, over the tree-lined canal.

After scavenging the market, Izzy and I were ready for a bite to eat. Unless there were more we didn’t see, I was surprised that the entire market only had three food trucks. Nonetheless, Izzy and I grabbed some fries (with mayonnaise---the Dutch love their mayo and fries) and kroket broodje, a croquette sandwich. It was while we were sitting down and enjoying our meal that we realized we had only explored half of the market. Past the food trucks and inside of a warehouse-type building, there were plenty of more stands awaiting us. We decided that we were ready to go home and tackle dinner, and that we would have to explore the rest the next time the market rolls around. 

Overall, we had a successful day at the IJ-Hallen. For being the largest flea market in Europe, I didn't feel that the crowds were too overwhelming. Especially as the seasons turn and the weather gets colder, this market will be perfect to return to for quality, affordable winter pieces.  Until next time!