The Three Main Differences Between American and Kiwi University

Billy Greene Headshot
Billy Greene

I have officially been in Aotearoa New Zealand for one month! After hilariously landing on the 4th of July — cue the fireworks! — I already feel at home, only a handful of weeks into IES Abroad’s program. As much as I would love to say it’s been all sunshine and rainbows, that would be far from the truth.

It’s called study abroad for a reason: you may be in a foreign country, but you are also (un)fortunately a student. While I bookend my weeks with camping and backpacking excursions, I cultivate my academic routine during the week to allow myself the freedom to explore. In this blog, I want to highlight some of the main differences between papers in Auckland and classes in the States; and, how to adjust best!

Papers (what we call courses) can seem massive and impersonal, but are designed to encourage connection

My small liberal arts school back in Wisconsin thrives off constant seminar and discussion: it is rare that folks in our small classes don’t participate. However, in Auckland, that couldn’t be more different. My Māori lecture alone hosts 400 people; my writing workshop, about 30; and even my focused, third-year–level paper which hinges on active discourse, enrolls 70.

In this vein, classes may seem dauntingly antisocial. However, because of their sheer scale, Kiwis and international students alike can interact one-on-one about questions or concerns they have. Just by sitting next to someone and asking to clarify a definition, you can form a connection. Likewise, lecturers’ office hours are a great space to meet other folks in your papers: I was able to discuss some great poetry alongside fellow writers and my tutor.

Additionally, tutorials — a new concept to me — are especially essential for your academic socialization. Here, TAs will oftentimes hand out questions from the final examination in a smaller setting of around 20 people, stimulating small-group discussion. Classes like these bridge the more participatory American methods of learning with an especially Kiwi focus on meeting others.

Initially, I was overwhelmed by the size of my papers; now, I’m invigorated by it! Everybody — regardless of citizenship or background — is in the same boat as you. Talk to that person with the cool outfits who sits near you in lecture: it may just foster a new friendship!

There are less assignments throughout the semester, but more weight on examinations

Back home, I am used to the constant barrage of quizzes, essays, and concept checks throughout the semester; however, at the University of Auckland, it’s not uncommon for you to only have a handful of small readings each week. Instead of the stream of assignments that gauge your learning, Kiwi universities trust students to engage with the coursework without the need for filler. The skinny is that examinations can sometimes count for more than half of your grade. Yikes!

Again, while this appears intimidating, it inspires students to construct our own long-term study habits to avoid that infamous last-minute crunch. And, in my mind, this framework has helped me to create a healthier relationship with my academic work. As I mentioned at the beginning of this blog, I have segmented time for my studies during the week to thrive from Friday to Sunday. I also try to do a little something for my mental everyday to maintain some momentum: whether it be paging through some poetry over an iced coffee, visiting the contemporary galleries at the art museum, or cooking myself a nice dinner, small hobbies such as these keep the weeks flying by. Almost paradoxically, I feel heaps more productive with this balance.

Google Calendar has always been a great buddy of mine. By inscribing your classes, assignments, and essential shopping runs, you can always leave a smidgen of room for whimsy. Recently, I even plugged in a ‘Bridesmaids’ movie night for myself! Anything can help to cultivate this more spacious academic practice.

A majority of lectures can be streamed online after they happen in-person

This difference has probably been the most tempting of them all. Because of my pocket-sized home school, I am used to the framework that attending each class in-person is vital to succeed — let alone pass. On the contrary, at the University of Auckland, following the first couple of lectures, attendance typically fizzles out. This is because most papers record their lectures and document their PowerPoints on Canvas.

Don’t get me wrong: I think my American school should be taking notes from the Kiwis. The sheer accessibility of this model cannot go understated. Even if you fail to attend physically, you still can absorb the material as equitably as someone in the room. For my long-weekend trips — or when my body decides to not move in the morning — this is a plus.

How easy it would be just to stream all my classes! Yet, I also acknowledge that this could potentially keep me holed up in my room — which is antithetical to the study abroad model. Luckily, most workshops and tutorials have some form of graded attendance component to counteract the laze of lecture. It’s both a blessing and a curse, both a convenience and an excuse. As an aside: I cannot for the life of me absorb most video-lectured material.

What I recommend then is that you attend everything in-person if you’re physically and emotionally able to on the day. It’s not detrimental if you miss a handful of lectures, but remember why you’re in Auckland: to experience it. Embracing these differences has resulted in some major academic and personal growth — only a fraction of the way into my semester!