Raring in Rarotonga: Three Highlights from My Mid-Semester Break

Billy Greene Headshot
Billy Greene

One of the most alluring inclusions in the IES Abroad Auckland program is a mid-semester trip to Rarotonga: the most populous of the Cook Islands. Before coming to Aotearoa New Zealand, I only knew the Cook Islands from the 80s film ‘Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence’ with David Bowie (they filmed a couple scenes here!). But through my own research — and experiencing the country for myself — I’ve realized how unforgettable this corner of the world truly is.

After finishing my onslaught of midterms, I saw the trip as a chance not only to rejuvenate for the final leg of the semester, but also embrace the essential tenet of study abroad: learning by traveling. This article features some highlights from our educational yet effusive itinerary.

Cross-Island Hike and Summiting Te Rua Manga

Also known by its nickname, ‘The Needle,’ Te Rua Manga offers a panoramic view of Rarotonga with quite the hike to accompany it. On both sides of the summit, you can see the Pacific, shouldered by rolling ridge lines and seemingly endless lush canopies. Some root scrambles, river crossings, and rappels promise good fun for the outdoorsy kind while also providing a good challenge for hikers of any ability, clocking in at around four miles. I typically save the best for last, but this was one of my favorite activities. What can I say? I’m a sucker for hikes of any and all kinds.

Not only was it extremely enjoyable to do, it was also fascinating to learn about the track's origins. Credited with contributing heaps of eco-tourism to the island, Pa Teuruaa — or the ‘Son of Polynesia’ — cultivated the cross-island hike, taming the bush for locals and travellers alike. His 33 years devoted to Te Rua Manga included 5,000 cross-island treks; talk about dedication!

Our tour guides educated us on Teuruaa’s living legacy and several signature features of the Rarotongan landscape: Polynesian chestnut trees being one of them. Upon banging its hollow roots, its percussive sound spurs across the island, allowing tribes separated by the mountains to communicate with one another. It was deeply powerful to connect with this land both on a physical and ecological level — tending to Rarotonga’s rich culture.

Nightlife at Charlie’s and Vaiana’s

As much as I’ve endeavored in tramping since the start of this program, at my heart, I’m a party girl: I love a good night out with my friends! Luckily enough, Rarotonga boasts several great bars right beside the beach. Both locations created remarkable nights; while not educational in a traditional sense, it was a wonder getting to know the IES Abroad Christchurch folks and plan out some potential visits later on in the semester!

Charlie’s — the more formal establishment — featured long tables, live music, and especially fantastic food. While waiting for my piña colada with some chicken satay skewers, we took to strolling on the sand and climbing horizontal palm trunks to watch sunset refract on the water. The band alternated between Raro folk tunes and cult classics which kept us quite occupied on the dance floor.

Vaiana’s was more of an upbeat affair, however, with less sheltered seating and more open beachfront. A dartboard guaranteed a good time over funkier cocktails: I enjoyed a rather strong passionfruit and lemon affair. The DJ kept the crowd afoot with smooth transitions from old Beyoncé cuts to more recent hits. I enjoyed both establishments: Charlie’s for the family, and Vaiana’s for the fun.

Koka Lagoon Cruises

Our last day in paradise came too soon (as it always does on vacation), but my oh my, were we in for a treat. Koka Lagoon Cruises hosted a trip for our program that showcased the shores of Muri Bay and several small islands just off the coast. It was more than just a cruise ride, however. We snorkeled in the turquoise water among coral and vibrant fish; we listened to our invigorated tour guides cover pop hits such as ‘I Want It That Way’ on local instruments; and we witnessed coconut trees be scaled in a matter of seconds. It was thrilling!

Throughout the trip, the weather was temperamental, alternating between drizzle, overcast, and outright downpour — yet this day finally cleared up. With the newfound sun, I took to lazing on the Koromiri beach, watching friends engage in a competitive yet loose game of volleyball with our guides, underscored by ukulele and the sound of the waves. There was no better way to end my time on the island than to take some sun-soaked moments for myself and recount on this unforgettable week.

Rarotonga frankly surpassed my expectations — much like my time in Aotearoa en masse. If you are at all considering applying for IES Abroad Auckland, I could not recommend it more: not only for the fantastic mid-semester break, but for the learning you do along the way.