Islands, Birds & Bush: Easy Day Trips to Take from Auckland

Billy Greene Headshot
Billy Greene

I'll admit it: the primary reason I came to Aotearoa was to immerse myself in the bush and mountains this wonderful landscape has to offer. You look up 'New Zealand' on Pinterest and see cascades of ranges, endless green foothills, lush fjords and the like. Auckland, as the country's most urban region, may feature miles of coastline, sure; however, when stuck between the city's skyscrapers and the cycle of lectures, seminars, and studying, it's easy to lose your footing. What's helped to maintain my academic and emotional momentum is outright escaping the city — which is thankfully easy to do! Here, I'll showcase some of my favourite day trips and how to get there.

Waiheke Island

No Auckland trip list is complete without this absolute gem of an island! While you certainly need more than a single day to explore the gorgeous coastal towns, expansive beaches, and slew of wineries, you can always return — like I’ve already done. Paths weave down rock faces to wide sand banks, just a short walk from downtown Oneroa. Great coffee, gelato, and markets are everywhere; on a warm, sunny day, it’s absolutely euphoric.

While the ferry tickets are typically pretty steep — $44 NZD or $28 USD round trip — you can always catch when Fullers360, one of the ferry providers, offers discounts. The ride itself highlights some of the other islands in the Hauraki Gulf, such as Rangitoto — another great day trip spot — and Motutapu. It’s not a spot to miss: even Lorde, one of New Zealand’s biggest celebrities, filmed a music video on Waiheke’s beaches!

Shakespear Regional Park

This lovely peninsula features soft elevation and vivid views of the distant skyline, all while maintaining some rural Kiwi charm! Sheep wander farmlands while tūī pierce the silent breezes with their signature chirp. Numerous tracks dot the park for hikers of any ability. If walks aren't your thing, don't fret: many beaches allow for optimal relaxation and a swim among gorgeous cliff faces. Several clearings feature opportune photo spots, making it a great trip to take with some pals! My own time in Shakespeare kindled a friendship with some other travellers escaping Auckland. 

To get to Shakespear, you take the Northern Express bus out of Britomart (en route, you ride over the infamous Harbour Bridge!) and alight at Hibiscus Coast. You will then take the 982 to its end, where the regional park will be a short walk away. A ferry is also available for those keen for oceanic views, however the bus is cheaper! It costs around $15 NZD round trip, which is about $10 USD.  I also recommend sticking around for sunset, but be careful — you may miss the last bus out of the park, like I almost did!

Devonport

This northern suburb of Auckland is for those of us who are looking for hours of chic side quests. My favourite flat white I've had in Auckland sourced from here (I promise a coffee blogs before my time's up!). Indeed, Devonport features a slew of cafés, secondhand stores, galleries, and walks by the water that will consume your day before you know it. On top of Maungauika/North Head, a sizeable hill located a short walk from the main promenade, you get a panoramic view of Rangitoto and the CBD. 

Hourly ferries make it easy to reach Devonport, all for the reasonable price of $8 NZD. I’d still recommend saving some budget for spending: Devonport hosts many unique spots with trinkets and treasures, making it the perfect spot to get gifts. Personally, I’ve acquired an impressive selection of tea, a new pair of sunnies, and a stack of books. Don’t forget a bag, either: I had to carry my stuff by hand.

Tiritiri Matangi

While I hate picking favourites, this island absolutely takes the cake. It only takes an hour by boat to sail seemingly lightyears away from the urban — back into what New Zealand may have looked like before industrialisation. You can see some of the most elusive Kiwi birds: kãkāriki, pukeko, and miromiro, to name a few. If you camp overnight — which I fully intend on doing at some point — you can even see the infamous kiwi birds waddle about!

There’s only one ferry that ventures to the island everyday, typically departing early in the morning and returning mid-afternoon. While it does cost $95 NZD, the cost directly feeds into conservation efforts and keeping the bird, the bush, and the volunteers sustained. For an additional $10 NZD, you can also take a guided tour to find the best birding spots. I conversed with a charismatic volunteer who gave me vital information on how to help out on the island myself!