Drop Bears Oh My!

Bailey Gilmore
The Twelve Apostles remain standing even after the rest of the cliffs have eroded—but they won't last forever. Signs abounded warning that the cliffs could fall on you at any moment. In some places along the coast the ocean is too wild to swim in, but all the more mesmerizing to watch. This fella was only about five feet above my head! The bird life in the area was bright, abundant, and talkative—these crimson rosellas swooped playfully across the campground, sometimes right by my head. Unlike the sleepy koalas, the parrots weren't shy and seemed to vie for attention from the campers. The apostles once had arches that people could walk across, and when the last one fell it actually stranded a group of visitors who had to be rescued by helicopter. The second night camping was once again filled with iconic animal sightings. The ocean has a habit of reflecting all sorts of colors at dusk.

Now that I’ve had the chance to explore Australia, I’ve come to the realization that the iconic animals of the Pacific Northwest must be shy. Sure, we see squirrels daily and deer and raccoons now and then, but I have never seen a wolf or a bear, and my encounters with elk and a single fox occurred at Yellowstone National Park. True, echidna sightings have been promised to me three or four times now and they still elude me, but on the whole I did not expect to stumble upon such a host of strange animals so easily! I gather that the zoo is the best place to see Tasmanian devils and platypuses (and deadly snakes for that matter), but I have truly been surprised, and thrilled, to encounter Australian fauna during various adventures. I have not even had to hike through the bush.

My latest encounter came during a weekend trip to the Great Ocean Road, just a couple hours south of Melbourne. Here the tourist attraction is the Twelve Apostles—formations that were once part of the cliffside, and now stand alone in the ocean. These tall islands are what draw the crowds, but I think it is the ocean itself that captivated me. I can’t explain it, but it seems like a different texture, perhaps emptier.

After returning to our campsite from a brief excursion to see glowworms (very cool, but not glowy enough for photos), I heard a guttural sound coming from a nearby gum. Another camper told me that there had been a koala there earlier in the day, and sure enough we saw it clinging to a leafy branch not five feet off the ground. In fact, this female koala was in the process of making clear to a male visitor that she was not interested in his company. The next morning we walked out of the campground to find koalas filling the trees along with bright, chatty birds. I finally understood why our campsite cost 44 dollars. On the following night we stayed at a different campground and this time I awoke to a mob of kangaroos just a short ways from my tent, which explained the droppings we had been unable to avoid the night before. At this point I am so spoiled on encountering wildlife that I haven’t bothered to go to the zoo yet.

Australians are keen to warn travelers of the presence of drop bears in wooded areas. It’s hard to believe in these vicious oversized koala-type creatures, until it’s too late, that is, and they have already set upon you from above. For more information, please visit: http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear. And for any Australian readers, do be careful to avoid gruesome injury via tree octopus when traveling in the Pacific Northwest.