Weekends, Würstelstands, Wien

Arshiya Husain Headshot
Arshiya Husain

One month into my time in Vienna and I can finally navigate the U-Bahn (metro) without having to keep Google Maps on standby. In between classes, attempting to read German food labels in grocery stores, and winning my battle against the U-Bahn, I’ve enjoyed getting to know Vienna a little bit better. 

Here are my Viennese recommendations so far: 

Must-try food: Käsekrainer

A Käsekrainer hot dog is a lightly smoked Brühwurst with cheese, often served with ketchup and mustard. It is also, quite frankly (no pun intended), terribly addictive for anybody who deems themself a meat eater. You can get a Käsekrainer from just about anywhere in the city because there’s no shortage of Würstelstands (traditional Austrian hot dog/sausages stands) in Vienna. I’ll often grab a Käsekrainer in between classes since it makes for a cheap, convenient, and delicious quick meal. 

For a quick getaway: Gänsehäufel

Recommended to us by IES Abroad staff, Gänsehäufel is an island and resort next to the Danube river. It’s a perfect getaway for anybody trying to escape big city life for a day or two—especially on warmer days. For a €7 entrance fee, you can get access to several swimming pools, beaches, recreational sports, restaurants, and sun-loungers. Getting to Gänsehäufel was convenient and a fun way for my friends and I to spend a lazy Saturday afternoon. Pro-tip: You won’t have to worry about crowds of tourists here! 

Socialize with other travelers: Travel Shack 

Located in the 15th District, Travel Shack is a “Traveler’s & Student Bar.” You’re bound to meet people from around the United States and beyond. While it can get crowded, it’s a safe spot for students who want to dance (especially to international music), do karaoke, or play some pool. And although there’s nothing conventionally “Viennese”  about Travel Shack, it’s a great way to feel at home in a big city like Vienna. Regardless of the day of the week, I’ve never had a dull night at Travel Shack.

Budget-friendly day-trip: Bratislava 

Fun fact: It’ll only take you $20 and an hour and a half to travel internationally (thank you, Flixbus). The Vienna to Bratislava day-trip is worth doing for anybody wanting to travel outside of Austria for a day. All you need is a couple of hours in Bratislava to get a taste of Slovak culture, food, and architecture. This day-trip is low-stakes, low-cost, but highly popular among IES Vienna students, including myself. 

For a scenic run or walk: Prater Hauptallee 

If you find yourself living in the 1st or 2nd district, you’re only a 5-10 minute walk from Prater Hauptallee, one of the greenest urban parks in the world! Ponds, trees, and trails make this the ideal location for running, walking, biking, and other outdoor activities. I head on over to the Prater whenever I’m in the mood for a long and relaxing run away from the city traffic. There’s also always tons of other runners and cyclists around you, making it a prime spot for fitness enthusiasts.